SE K750I Mobile Email Issues

Sorry for the lack of posts recently, I have been very busy both at work and home, and time has been very tight to play with gadgets or search out new ones. I have also been working hard trying to find sponsorship for my hang glider adventure so blogging has had to take a back seat, and there are still a lot of things I'm involved with at the moment so it might be a while before I can resume my weekly posts. Anyway here is a little issue I had to deal with this week.

Further to my earlier Email from your K750i mobile phone post, all has been working okay with my SE K750I mobile phone, email wise until recently when I tried to send myself an email at work, and it failed!
My first reaction was that there was a problem with Virgin's mobile phone network, that turned out to be false as I could surf the internet of the SE K750I.
Further investigation showed that I was able actually access the POP3 account setup on the phone, but the problems was when it tried to send the email using the smtp server specified the mobile phones email configuration. If you remember in my earlier Email from your K750i mobile phone post I had to use my personal smtp server for sending email as Virgin Mobile does not provide an email service. Since I did not know the IP address my phone would be using to connect to my home PC, I had to configure my home firewall to accept connections from any IP address. Somehow that setting on my smtp server had changed to allow only local connections. I changed it back to allow all connections and now my SE K750I is now happily sending emails out again.
For the benefit of all you potential spammers, I don't use the default smtp port for connections from the internet, my PC has a dynamic IP, which you don't know and I have a DNS name which you will never guess, so I don't have an open smtp relay.

This is one of the downsides of the email client on the SE K750I, it does not support authenticated smtp, so you will only be able to use this phone to send emails if your mobile phone network provides email service, you have your own smtp server and know how to configure it to work with the SE K750I or you can find an ISP that provides a POP3 logon before smtp service.

2 comments:
gravatar
Unknown said...
11:42 am  

I've been having the no sending problem with my SE W880. The only solution I had was to go back to the K750, your information has disappointed me greatly. It seems I shall never send a mobile email until I ditch Sony ericsson, the W880 is annoyingly unreliable at the best of times. This is just the push I need to send me to a different product.

gravatar
Shola said...
4:09 pm  

Without having any information about what your problem is, I'm unable to offer any help, also I don't have a Sony Ericsson W880, and the setup might be different from the K750i

Post a Comment