Blogger, Custom domains & 123reg.co.uk

If you want to use a custom domain with blogger.com and have a domain registered with 123reg.co.uk, then here are the steps to follow to enable both www.yourdomain.co.uk and yourdomain.co.uk to point to your old blogspot.com blog. 123reg.co.uk provide cheap uk domains registrations (£6.80 for 2 years) and are thus very popular with bloggers.



Login to your control panel at 123reg.co.uk, and select the domain you want to manage.

 123reg control panel

Click on modify domain.

Now choose Web Forwarding

Select non-framed webforwarding, and enter the blogspot address of your domain.



Click on update webforwarding to save changes and return to the control panel.

Now select Manage DNS and add a CNAME record for www pointing to ghs.google.com as shown below. Note: there is a trailing dot!





You will now have to wait 24hrs for these changes to take effect. The easiest way to know if the changes have taken effect is to type www.yourdomain.co.uk into a browser, if it comes up with a 123reg.co.uk holding page, then the changes have not occurred.

Once the changes have taken place, login to blogger, and change the publishing settings to your new domain as shown below:



You should now have both www.yourdomain.co.uk and yourdomain.co.uk pointing to your old blogspot.com blog.

PS: You might have to wait about 30 minutes after changes made at blogger.com for your blog to work (you might get 404 errors in the meantime).

Additional Reading
Don't use Blogger Custom Domain for business blog.

Labels: , ,
7 comments:
gravatar
The Future Poker Star said...
6:01 pm  

Works great. Thanks a lot.

gravatar
CookingKatie said...
2:27 pm  

What a legend! thanks for you help! Katie

gravatar
Kyle Newton said...
10:19 pm  

I REALLY appreciate this, I've been searching for hours (literally) on how to do this because all the methods wern't working.
Thanks
Kyle Newton

gravatar
VirtuaCash said...
12:05 pm  

Thanx for the help. worked perfectly. i added a co.uk to my blogger site, it was taking ages till i came across ur page. thanx again. my site is www.gorilla-isos.co.uk

gravatar
admin said...
8:41 am  

many thanks

gravatar
Art For All said...
6:49 pm  

I don't know what I've done wrong but this isn't working for me,all I get is the blogger page asking me if I want to be redirected,by clicking on the yes button it just refreshes the page,the one thing I do have is my registered domain name in the address bar,I'm stumped!

gravatar
Unknown said...
12:36 am  

hello, I have actually set up my blogger account to use a subdomain of my main website. so it's blog.domain.co.uk. I don't have access to the DNs settings or CNAME function for the subdomain, so I just did the first part - is that right?

thanks for posting this tutorial :)

Post a Comment