MP3 Players - How much memory?

While we are on the subject of MP3 players, I was wondering if the large song database that these devices can hold via their inbuit memory, is actually of benefit rather than just a sales gimmick to get people to buy their brand of MP3 player.

A lot of the MP3 players around nowadays can hold over 1,000 songs, so tell me how many of you have 1,000 tracks on your MP3 player, how long did it take to transfer them on to your device. Now the more important question, how many of these tracks do you listen to on a regular basis, and do you honestly need to have that many songs or memory on a portable device?

I'm aware that there are accessories that can allow your Apple iPod to be connected to home stereos and stuff, but how many people really use these. Someone, once mentioned the iRiver device, now that looks more interesting, being more of a multi-media device than confined to MP3s, also you can use it as an external data storage device.

I think having an MP3 player is more of a status thing than anything else, though you do need more storage memory if your portable device has video capabilities.

Is there anyone one brave enough to go on the London Underground with there original tape walkman?

I will eventually be getting a convergence device soon, but I will probably have it to listen to podcasts, rather than music. Just over a month now till my mobile phone contract is up.

By the way i-Mate recently launched a media campaign in the UK to promote their i-Mate Jam device.

2 comments:
gravatar
Bar L. said...
10:36 pm  

I love gadgets so I will stop by often to see what you have to say about them. For my first gadget post I have to take an opposing view :)

I LOVE MY iPod !!!!!

You are probably right, most people don't need to capacity to hold more than a thousand songs. But for music lovers like me I really love it. Right now I have about 1,500 songs, an audio book and several podcasts. It didn't take that long to download them all. What I did was download all of my CD's, all my sister's and all of a friends. Then for any missing song I didn't have I purchaed them for .99 on iTunes. I plan to keep adding to it.

I listen to it mostly in my car and at my desk at work with headphones on (right now I am listening to Marvin Gaye....what's going on, what's going on.....)

I would still use a Sony walkman if I had to, but I hope I never have to :)

gravatar
Anonymous said...
1:43 am  

Much as I like an iPod, I don't like carrying too many devices. If I can carry a single device, which serves both as my phone and MP3 player, even though it can only store about a hundred songs, I am ok.

Post a Comment