SKY dominates UK Sports rights

This post is a rant, and not necessarily technology related.

Recently a lot of noise was made in the cricket world about SKY corporation buying out the rights to screen all UK test matches from the England Cricket Board. The main issue was that having to subscribe to see these events would mean that a lot of people in the grassroots would longer have access to see the sport, and thus the take up of the sport would decrease, thus jeopardising England's future as a cricket nation. Not being a fan of cricket, I was not too concerned, as I don't really understand cricket, and thus don't watch.

SKY also has a major hold on the UK's premiership football screening rights, but I only follow football during the World cup, so again not a major problem for me.

However this weekend brought the issue home for me, as the inaugural stage of the A1 GP motorsport took place here in the UK, and I was unable to watch it, because I don't subscribe to SKY Sports. Now I'll either have to cough out some money or miss the who season on television relying on the papers to report the highlights. I was hoping that another TV station might even do the highlights considering that I'm an ex Formula One fan, but have become bored with the old routine of a few rich teams dictating what happens on the track.

I'm not anti SKY, it's just sometimes capitalism can be a bad idea, especially when one company holds a monopoly, and have no intent of putting more of my hard earned cash in the hands of the Murdock corporation.

1 comments:
gravatar
chrome said...
9:19 pm  

a lot has changed since murdoch came on the scene (and got into bed with blair). used to be you could catch football on terrestial.

capitalism as we know it sucks.

Post a Comment